Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone - Daily Photo 94/365

Yesterday was an interesting day.  Last Saturday they were already predicting bad storms for our area for Monday but I didn't get concerned.  After all, they've been wrong before and the only thing to do is prepare for the worst, not worry.

Yesterday (Monday) morning I had to go to the other side of town.  The side of town that always seems to "enjoy" the worst weather in town.  Thankfully I got home just before the rains moved in.

This is an unedited pic (as are the next two pictures) from yesterday, I wanted you to see how dark it was in the early afternoon.



I was able to put in a couple hours of work before my appointment but when I got home the plan was to put in another three or four hours.
Around 2:00 p.m. I noticed that it was getting darker and I heard some thunder rumbling in the distance. 
My intention was to finish what I'd started then shut down my computer (not on wifi).  As is usual with intentions, it didn't work out.


Candles were lit everywhere around the house. 



Suddenly there was a loud crack of thunder - I actually jumped! - then everything shut down.  The power toyed with me by returning then shutting down a couple times before it got serious and shut down completely.

The wind began blowing with terrific force but I couldn't see any funnel clouds.  The rain was coming down so densely that it was difficult to see across the street - and it was not falling straight down.

We ended up being without power for more than six hours.  In the scheme of things that is NOTHING!  We experienced no wind or rain damage.  I was safe in my house and by the time my DH had to drive home from work the worst of the storm was over.


I learned that it's smart to have UNscented candles for this kind of emergency.  Phew!  The scents were heavy in the air and making me sick to my stomach. 

I have to admit to being surprised at how handcuffed I felt without electricity.  If it wasn't for being able to connect with the outside world with my phone I think perhaps I wouldn't have handled the isolation with much grace.
By the time the power came back on I was already in bed so that's why yesterday's photos are being posted today.

J & K, I now have a new appreciation for your plight and I'm so glad that you were able to get a generator to offset your frequent power outages.

No comments: